Monday 4 July 2016

TV & Movies: The People v. O.J. Simpson, Disparue, Bloodline & More!


Here's a round up of some of my recently watched movies and TV shows including some American Crime, a French Disappearance and the new season of Bloodline.

Read on for more!



The trial isn't the whole story. This is.

Hands down the best thing I have watched on TV this year. The People v. OJ Simpson appealed to the true-crime junkie in me, and with great performances (particularly from Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark and Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran) I found it to be truly compelling viewing - even though I already knew the outcome and intricacies of this case.   If you have watched this and are looking for a follow-up, I recommend the Real Crime Profile podcast which explores the case in detail.


*****



I've seen Disparue, which just aired on BBC 4 as The Disappearance, described as a French version of The Killing, but in actual fact, it's based on a Spanish TV series. That said, if you love shows such as The Killing and Broadchurch, then this one is for you. Disparue follows the investigation into the disappearance of seventeen year old Léa Morel - who went missing after a fight with her boyfriend. As secrets are uncovered -including quite a few Léa has been keeping from her parents - multiple suspects emerge.  An exciting thriller with lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing throughout.


*****




Now for something a little lighter! God Help the Girl is a bittersweet coming-of-age tale set against the backdrop of the Glasgow music scene. The movie follows a troubled girl called Eve as she finds in way in the world through friendship and music. I stumbled across this one on Netflix, and became such a fan that I've watched it twice already. It's not perfect, but it's a great movie for anyone who loves music, coming of age tales and perfect summers. It's also got a great soundtrack, which I've been listening to non-stop!

*****



People Die. Secrets Don't. 


The tagline for the first season of Bloodline read: 'We're not bad people, but we did a bad thing.'  Once upon a time, that may have been true. However, it becomes increasingly clear in Season 2 of Bloodline that the Rayburn's are, in fact, bad people, one and all. A lot of viewers found the first season of Bloodline slow to start, while I loved it throughout, but I have to say that this season was very slow off the mark for me. For sure, this season is engrossing, and the final episode left me wondering what happens next, but I didn't love this season quite as much as I loved Season 1. 

*****




Now, I know JLaw has her detractors, but I'm a fan. I can't think of a movie of hers I've seen where I didn't enjoy her performance.  She puts on a good show in Joy, an movie that I found otherwise all a bit 'meh.' I mean, I don't really get how this story - a down-on-her-luck housewife creates miracle mop and makes millions - even warranted a whole movie. It's not that the story of Joy is not inspiring and all that - it's just that there's not a whole lot to it.  It's  not very interesting. And neither is this movie.  This one gets a pass from me. Room, starring Brie Larson is next up on my to watch list. I'm expecting better things from that one.

*****

Have you seen any of these TV shows or Movies?

Let me know your thoughts!


What I'm watching in July:  The second seasons of UnReal and Mr. Robot and a new Netflix show called Stranger Things.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats